Senior Software Engineer, Backend
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2023
We’re Thalo labs. Our mission is to accelerate society’s transition to net-negative emissions with our CO2 mitigation technologies and real-time, actionable data platform. Thalo labs makes it ridiculously easy to measure and mitigate greenhouse gas emissions. Backed by world-class investors and technologists, we are a fast-growing startup seeking foundational team members who can help us grow not only our product and tech stack, but our vision and our culture.
This is a great opportunity to join a foundational team and make a huge impact. The ideal candidate has proven success building a scalable backend, experience managing data, and is passionate about building reliable and delightful systems that span the spectrum across hardware, science, data, and software to help us on our mission to draw down emissions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and environmental scientists to develop our carbon mitigation platform capabilities.
- Build scalable and performant architecture, data pipeline and intensive stream processing solutions
- Write and test, high quality scalable code
- Contribute to engineering execution in support of business objectives, by directly working with the Head of Software Engineering and the CEO
- Implement a scalable solution for event processing
- Contribute to front end solution for customer dashboards
What you will bring:
- 4-10 +/- years of experience in backend server and platform development
- Experience developing and deploying product-facing data-intensive applications into the real-world.
- 5+ years of experience in microservice development and implementation in Python or Go.
- Prior success as a significant contributor on a high performing software backend or platform engineering team.
- Eager to architect high quality solutions in a resource constrained environment.
- Cloud service provider familiarity such as GCP or AWS (you can deploy everything yourself).
- Fluency with time-series data sets.
- Top-notch verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience designing data pipeline (from database to customer dashboard )
- Designing large scale data analyzes to efficiently run in the cloud.
- Passion for mitigating the effects of climate change.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- Comfort with time-series database solutions such as InfluxDB or TimescaleDB.
- Knowledge of plotting libraries such as Plotly and Dash.
- Experience with IoT product backends
- Experience with building and managing CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with monitoring and logging tools such as Prometheus and Grafana
- Experience with stream/ batch processing with Kafka, Apache Airflow
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box, we still would like to hear from you. We are building a diverse and balanced team that complements each other while covering the critical skills and experience
Target compensation for this role at our current stage is between $90,000 and $140,000 depending on level and experience plus generous equity option grants at the ground floor.
Perks and Benefits:
· Health, dental and vision subsidized up to 50% by Thalo Labs
· Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees
· Falafel Friday’s
· Weekly happy hours
· Quarterly team offsites
· Quarterly team volunteering
· Stocked pantry
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Thalo Labs is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We think that a diverse team is critical to Thalo's success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
See more open positions at thalolabs.com
Something looks off?