Staff Software Engineer
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2024
We’re Thalo Labs, an NYC-based company on a mission to transform the built environment into a powerful tool for fighting climate change. Where others see buildings as part of the problem, we see an incredible opportunity to leverage existing infrastructure to not only accelerate drawdown, but to transform the built environment from one of the biggest emitters to a carbon sink.
Our team has built self-driving cars at Waymo, worked on satellite imagery at Google, designed systems for John Deere, developed space missions for NASA, engineered bikes for Peloton, led manufacturing design for Boom Supersonic jets and more. We are united by our shared goal of making products that help us decarbonize today, and we’re looking for an awesome software engineer to help us build our decarbonization products.
The ideal candidate has full stack experience in web services / cloud infrastructure and is also comfortable making significant contributions in domains outside of their core areas of focus. In this role, you will be writing code to ingest and enrich data streams, manage a growing fleet of Thalo hardware, detect product issues, pipeline alerts, and communicate data and insights to customers. For you, there is no feature too big or too small, you’re comfortable with ambiguity, you thrive in fast paced environments, and you love delivering reliable software and systems for your end users.
What you'll be doing:
- Own and be responsible for the architecture, design, and delivery of multiple features/projects/products
- Generate high-quality and reliable software that runs in the cloud, on Thalo hardware at customer sites, and on laptops at Thalo HQ
- Design, develop, test, and debug backend services, embedded systems, data orchestration software, IoT device management tools, and customer-facing dashboards
- Analyze complex technical problems and propose innovative solutions
- Collaborate with peers in engineering, customer success, bizdev, and product to promote the seamless transition of data from bits to customer insights
- 5+ years of software development experience as a full-stack engineer, backend engineer, or similar
- Expert knowledge of Python and at least one other object oriented programming language such as C++ or Java
- Strong experience with popular front-end and backend frameworks such as React, Vue, Django, Spring Boot, etc.
- Experience with provisioning, scaling, and monitoring production cloud infrastructure running on public clouds such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Solid background in Docker, Linux, Shell, Git, CICD, logging, and software development best practices
Nice to haves:
- Experience with time series databases such as InfluxDB or TimescaleDB
- Experience with IoT devices, fleet management, and remote observation/debugging of hardware fleets
- Experience with stream processing using technologies such as Kafka or Beam
- Experience with embedded devices, such as ARM processors or STM32 systems, etc.
- Experience with data analysis using packages like pandas and numpy
- Experience with building automation systems or climate technology
Perks and Benefits:
-Health, dental and vision available
-Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees
-Weekly happy hours
-Quarterly team off-sites
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Thalo Labs is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We think that a diverse team is critical to Thalo's success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box, we still would like to hear from you. We are building a diverse and balanced team that complements each other while covering the critical skills and experience.