Software Engineer, Embedded Platform
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
We’re Thalo Labs, an NYC-based company on a mission to transform the built environment into a powerful tool for fighting climate change. Where others see buildings as part of the problem, we see an incredible opportunity to leverage existing infrastructure to not only accelerate drawdown, but to transform the built environment from one of the biggest emitters to a carbon sink.
Our team has built self-driving cars at Waymo, worked on satellite imagery at Google, designed systems for John Deere, developed space missions for NASA, engineered bikes for Peloton, led manufacturing design for Boom Supersonic jets and more. We are united by our shared goal of making products that help us decarbonize today, and we’re looking for awesome, energetic people to join us!
The ideal candidate has deep experience developing embedded software and is also comfortable developing tools, applications, and automation higher in the software stack. You will be writing code to interface with a variety of sensors and peripherals, ingest and enrich data streams, and optimize the smooth rollout and maintenance of a growing fleet of Thalo hardware. For you, there is no feature too big or too small, you’re comfortable with ambiguity, you thrive in fast paced environments, and you love delivering reliable software and systems for your end users.
- Design, develop, test, and debug embedded systems, data orchestration software, and device provisioning/management/end-of-line testing applications
- Deliver high quality software that reliably collects real-time sensor data, securely transmits data to the cloud, and enables remote observability/debugging of hardware fleets
- Drive transition of development software to production standardsManage the testing, release, and deployment schedule of embedded software
- Collaborate with peers in systems, electrical, cloud infrastructure, and product to promote the seamless transition of data from bits to customer insights
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or related discipline.
- Strong experience (4+ years) in embedded software engineering (C/C++ and Python)
- Experience developing production grade software for embedded microcontrollers (Example: ST, STM32, NXP Kinetis, or similar)
- Knowledge of typical low-level communication protocols such as SPI, UART, I2C, USB, Bluetooth Low Energy, TCP/IP and Wi-Fi
- Experience with IoT devices, communication protocols (e.g. MQTT, etc.), fleet management, and real-time data streaming in data bandwidth limited environments
- Experience with device peripherals such as cameras, microphones, etc. on embedded devices
- Experience with Docker, Linux, Linux kernel debugging, and Git
- Experience developing and interfacing with RESTful APIs and web services
- Experience writing automation scripts and tools
- Experience with web application development
- Experience with linux based single board computers, such as RaspberryPi
- Ability to read an electrical schematic or PCB layout
- Experience working in a Continuous Integration (CI) environment
Perks and Benefits:
-Health, dental and vision available
-Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees
-Weekly happy hours
-Quarterly team off-sites
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Thalo Labs is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We think that a diverse team is critical to Thalo's success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.