Process and Materials Development Engineer
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 7, 2022
We’re Thalo labs. Our mission is to accelerate society’s transition to net-negative emissions with our CO2 mitigation technologies and real-time, actionable data platform. Thalo Labs makes it ridiculously easy to measure and mitigate greenhouse gas emissions. Backed by world-class investors and technologists, we are a fast-growing startup seeking foundational team members who can help us grow not only our product and tech stack, but our vision and our culture.
We are looking for an exceptional process and materials development engineer to lead our path to scalable emissions drawdown. You and the research team will be designing and implementing experiments, including process design, optimization, integration, and characterization, working with worldwide manufacturers and process engineers to source and ensure the carbon negativity of our products, and have a direct impact on our scaled execution.
Is this role right for you?
Do you thrive in a fast paced agile environment? Do you love building and guiding exceptionally talented and productive engineers that can execute on the product roadmap with a local team in NYC? You are humble, flexible, collaborative, and bring empathy and a bias towards action to everything you do. You are passionate about building reliable and delightful systems that comprise hardware, science, and software, and wants to help radically improve and empower engineering teams by connecting the tools that drive them. You love the gamut between engineering studies and development, and hands-on lab and field work. You are highly technical, and have strong project management skills. You develop best in class processes and innovate in development. You inspire, grow, and lead engineers, mentoring them to be the best they can be for themselves and their teams. If this sounds like you… keep reading!
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead process development for our carbon mitigation and sensing systems from a systems perspective
- Design experiments and execute tests to understand material properties, behavior, and cost/benefit trades
- Oversee, evaluate, and manage the designs of CO2 capture and material processing plants, monitor modifications and upgrades, and troubleshoot existing process designs
- Performs technical economic analysis (TEA), Life Cycle Assessments (LCA) and evaluates the capital and operational costs, and carbon footprint cost of projects during the pre-construction phase.
- Work as a part of a team of world-class scientists and engineers to accelerate scaling our platform, working across the spectrum from big picture design to in the weeds test and construction.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering or Process Engineering from an accredited college or university. Graduate degree is preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in development, design, and operations of sorbent based gas stream capture plants or relevant experience in gas separation processing
- Previous experience testing and working with solid materials, ideally oxides, in gas-flow systems and reactor design
- Solid fundamental engineering knowledge and scientific understanding in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, mass transfer, heat transfer, chemical reaction kinetics, modeling, and data analysis
- Strong background in defining and exploring engineering parameter spaces, including designing test matricies, in the weeds testing, and testing/managing data for pilot operations
- Passion for mitigating the effects of climate change
Nice to haves:
- Experience with continuous emissions monitoring systems or other relevant gas sensing
- Experience in gas dynamics, combustion processes, flue gas treatments, and/or industrial scale chemical products
- Core expertise in a related field, including but not limited to: Process engineering, Chemical engineering, Electrical engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, etc.,
- Experience building and commissioning plants
- Experience recruting and onboarding new team members
- Working with environmental health and safety to ensure a safe working environmentStrong data science capabilities
Perks and Benefits:
-Health, dental and vision available
-Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees
-Weekly happy hours
-Quarterly team off-sites
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Thalo Labs is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We think that a diverse team is critical to Thalo's success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box, we still would like to hear from you. We are building a diverse and balanced team that complements each other while covering the critical skills and experience.