Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
Rachio is a mission-based startup advancing the smart home outside, through conservation and connection. A category leader within the smart home industry, Rachio creates innovative technology and solutions that enliven the outside space of any home through exceptional products, data-driven personalized recommendations and an unmatched user experience. Together, the Rachio community has saved *150 billion* gallons of water - and counting.
About This Opportunity
Rachio is hiring a Senior Software Engineer, Backend to build features and continue improving our microservice architecture as we grow our network of connected devices and launch new products. In this role, you will report to the Director of Engineering and work on a cross-functional team that makes impactful decisions for our exciting new initiatives.
At Rachio, we continuously strive to increase the intelligence of our platform in order to make water use sustainable, effortless, and rewarding for our customers. In the process, we are changing the way people think about irrigation controller hardware in the B2C and B2B sectors, and showing them the power of software. We are looking for a talented engineer to spearhead our next wave of intelligence offerings that will inform our watering algorithms and further improve our customer experience.
Our software engineers enjoy working collaboratively and take pride in high quality work. In this role you will contribute to design, architecture, and implementation of new product ecosystems. You will have deep technical skills, be a self-starter, emphasize detail and quality, and be passionate about having a large impact on a small team revving up its next wave of growth.
Rachio’s backend services are written in Java. Our cloud infrastructure is built on AWS and we leverage everything from Amazon Aurora to ElasticSearch to AWS IoT to AWS ECS. We utilize serverless design whenever appropriate and bias towards an event driven architecture. Our data infrastructure consists of third party ETL tools, S3, Athena, Spark, and Snowflake.
What You’ll Do
- Design, implement, and deploy end-to-end features in a microservice architecture to support new software services.
- Drive the ideation and architecture for our device ecosystem in collaboration with a Product Manager and other technical subject matter experts.
- Continue to evolve our backend infrastructure by incorporating modern server side technologies to fully realize a world class IoT platform
- Work autonomously in a high performing team while managing individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Contribute to the support of our back end platform, including DevOps, system and code debugging, general system maintenance, and participation in on-call rotation.
- Contribute to high performance team culture by upholding standards, constructively driving improvements, and making those around you better.
What Makes You A Great Fit
- Your code is clear, testable, and maintainable.
- Excellent programming fundamentals: common design patterns, data structures, object-oriented principles utilizing JVM languages (Java 7, 8, or Java 11 preferred)
- Experience with Tomcat/Jetty, Spring/Dropwizard, and JPA/Hibernate/JDBI
- Experience with gRPC a plus
- Relational, NoSQL, and time series database experience
- Experience with modern serverless applications, Java microservices, and containerized deployment methods
- Experience with modern build tools (GitHub Actions), continuous deployment, test automation, and writing unit and integration tests (JUnit, Spock, and/or TestNG)
- Experience architecting Cloud Services, preferably Amazon Web Services
- Ability to work in a fast paced startup agile development environment
- Previous experience owning DevOps initiatives and finding creative solutions
- Experience building data pipelines a plus
- Solid understanding of data lake, data warehouse, and ETL ecosystems a plus
- The salary range for this role is $135,000 - $155,000 with a bonus structure based on individual & company performance
- Stock options
- This is a remote position
- There is some travel required for this role, less than 5%
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance -- premiums are 100% paid for employees and 60% paid for dependents, based on company sponsored plans.
- Employer paid Basic Life and AD&D insurance
- Optional benefits include: short term disability & long term disability, pet insurance, and more!
- Time Off: Unlimited PTO, 10 paid sick days per year, Empathy Leave, and paid Parental Leave
- Retirement: 401(k) plan with a company match
- Paid Travel: Rachio is a remote company, headquartered in Denver, CO. We host company events with paid travel to & from Denver
- Professional Development: Employees receive an annual stipend to put towards furthering their education and career growth
- Work From Home: Employees receive a monthly stipend to put towards enhancing their remote work experience
- Relaxed dress code: Wear what makes you feel most comfortable working at Rachio
- Start with Empathy: We listen with the intent to understand, not simply to respond. We assume positive intent, and remember that at the end of the day we are all human and on the same team.
- Fail Strategically: We view the unknown as an opportunity to learn and therefore grow. We encourage and support each other in taking risks and testing the status quo. We bias towards action, look for early feedback, and take the time to openly share learnings with the team.
- Participate & Commit: We believe that the best decisions are made when we show up fully. We challenge assumptions, discuss the data, and ask the hard questions. Decision-makers protect the time to collaboratively explore and welcome wild and unconventional ideas. In the end, everyone may not agree with the final decision, but they feel heard and are committed to the path forward.
- Delight to Sustain: We believe that our customers don't have to compromise to be sustainable. Our first priority is to provide a delightful experience that adds value to their lives while creating a better future for our planet.
How to Apply
- Please apply via our careers page
- A cover letter is preferred
Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs if they don’t meet every listed qualification. Here at Rachio, we care about your ability to get the job done more than how you gained your experience. If you are hesitant to apply but feel you can excel in the role with your experience, we want to see your application!
We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.