Human Resources Business Partner
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
Location: Bay Area required. 3 days per week In-office time expected.
About the role
We are looking for a mission-driven people person. You will help create, refine, scale and innovate our people practices to enable the best working environment for our team.
This role will oversee most aspects of the employee lifecycle to ensure they align with Mill’s mission and values. This will include compensation philosophy, onboarding, employee development, performance management, benefits, office experience and company events.
We are a deeply mission-driven organization, and want to create a high performance environment that values direct feedback. You should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage and lead through change and ambiguity. You enjoy shifting from the details of keeping the people machine thriving in one moment to driving the people strategy the next. Given our size and stage of growth, you will also be deeply aligned to our business goals and able to flex and pivot quickly.
What you will do:
- Enable our teams to work effectively and reduce the time to impact for new employees, supported by effective and intuitive people processes, learning & development, benefit & compensation philosophies that enable, empower and support people.
- Partner with our existing recruiting team for smooth handoffs and employee relations.
- Coach leaders and managers to develop strong skills around building teams, managing performance, growing top talent, managing in an equitable and inclusive manner, and facilitating open communication and feedback.
- Drive adoption of Mill’s people programs across the organization, specifically around performance management and employee engagement
- Continuously seek to identify, improve, and automate the systems, tools and workflows to improve the management and accessibility of key analytical data that informs our people programs
- Proactively identify root issues using quantitative and qualitative data (trends in employee engagement, attrition, and retention) and build sustainable resolution and build long-term solutions.
- Be the expert in handling employee relations issues, and ensure adherence to our Code of Conduct and other behavioral expectations.
- Take an equitable, inclusive, and diverse lens across how we operate as a People team and company, reinforce a culture of inclusivity and make recommendations to drive improvement.
- Build and enhance diversity, equity and inclusion programming and an employee resource group program as we grow.
- Promote a culture that embodies Mill’s virtues.
- 8+ years working across HR functions with 2+ years in a startup environment and HRBP experience supporting operational teams to scale their business
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- A combination of experience in the following areas: building organizational design; coaching, influencing and developing managers; creating and maintaining company HR related policies, driving performance management; leading diversity and inclusion initiatives; handling employee relations; supporting staffing models for operational roles and supporting compensation and rewards programs
- Ability to coach leaders on sensitive topics and have brave conversations to drive the business forward
- Sharp ability to problem-solve in ambiguous situations, getting to the root of an issue and efficiently moving to strategic solutions
- Ability to collect and use data to inform people programming and decisions and to tell an informed story in small settings and in company-wide settings.
- Ability to zoom in and out between high-level strategy and detail-oriented execution.
- Comfortable with no task being too small and are willing to do what it takes to support your team and the company.