Factory Test Engineer
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
As a factory test engineer, your role involves collaborating with electrical, software, and mechanical engineers to create and automate test stations for data collection during the engineering and production phase. Being part of a small, early-stage team means you'll be hands-on at every stage of feature testing, from designing test stations and writing code to automation and validation. You'll work closely with team members, conducting experiments that directly impact product decisions throughout the development process. You will help build out best practices and procedures to ensure fast development velocity and robust test coverage.
- Successfully achieve the development, production, and scaling of our factory test stations.
- Engage early with the Systems Design and Hardware Test Engineering teams to influence the design of factory test equipment.
- Collaborate with vendors to ensure that equipment designs align with specifications and oversee the health of testers.
- Analyze and troubleshoot failures, offering debug guidance to our CM site team and interfacing with the Hardware and Software Test Engineering team.
- Execute, troubleshoot, and assess novel test platforms, partnering with the broader engineering team to ensure high yields and reduced cycle times on the test lines.
- Lead enhancements in the factory test process, ensuring that test stations yield reliable, repeatable data meeting the expected quality (leveraging SPC, Cp/Cpk, and GRR experience).
- Manage facilities preparation, installation, validation, and training for new test systems related to NPI (New Product Introduction).
- Regularly monitor test data for statistical trends, identifying changes in components, manufacturing, and measurement systems over their life cycles.
- This role demands a self-driven and highly motivated engineer who aims to deeply understand products and test processes.
- They will serve as Mill's primary safeguard, ensuring that our testers are capable and scalable for meeting growing product volumes.
- Utilize knowledge of industry standards/best practices to aid in test station design and factory layout.
- Possess a discerning eye to proactively identify problems by reviewing factory test data, coverage reports, and gauge R&Rs.
- Skillful in cultivating cross-functional relationships to influence test coverage and station design.
- Work with the manufacturing test team to maintain operational test lines.
- Capable of offering second-level support to CM debug technicians as needed, escalating to other cross-functional teams when necessary.
- Provide feedback to quality and test teams to rectify product defects, test station issues, and process discrepancies.
- Possess a Bachelor's or equivalent degree in Electrical/Mechanical/Systems Engineering or RF expertise.
- Accumulated over 3 - 5+ years of valuable experience in the industry.
- Proficient in CM/Vendor management spanning from prototyping and experiment design to provision and review of test requirements.
- Competent in ICT, Hi-Pot, and Ground Bond Testing with practical know-how.
- Knowledgeable about the ECR/ECO Process and special builds.
- Familiarity with development boards such Arduino or Raspberry Pi
- Experience in Linux/Python based test software coding
- Proficiency in collaborating with CMs/ODMs/OEMs.
- Capable of centralizing diverse test requirements.
- Adept at interpreting circuit schematics and diagnosing issues in PCBA and electro-mechanical systems.
- Skilled practitioner of electronic test equipment usage, including DMMs, Power Supplies, RF test devices, and signal acquisition apparatus.
- Experienced in setting up and maintaining customized test systems, both in hardware and software aspects.
- Ready for occasional domestic and international travel, amounting to a maximum of 20% of the time.
The estimated base salary range for this position is $45k to $85k, which does not include the value of benefits or a potential equity grant. A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, market conditions, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and business and organizational needs. At Mill, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role.
For your awareness, we have been requiring that all employees and visitors who come into our offices verify that they are fully vaccinated with respect to COVID-19. Of course we are open to discussing accommodations where legally required, such as for medical or religious reasons. If you need to discuss accommodations or better understand this requirement, please let me know. Otherwise, please prepare to provide verification of your vaccination.