Mobile App Engineer
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
As one of the founding members of our internal mobile app team, you will have greenfield opportunities to design and build technology supporting our first product and service offering. We are seeking senior engineers with excellent technical judgment, who can make high level architecture decisions and are as comfortable building new features as designing infrastructure. An ideal candidate will bring a broad set of technical and problem solving skills and relish opportunities to learn and solve novel problems.
You will have the opportunity to work on every stage of product development, from initial design to implementation to performance optimization. You will work closely with UX designers, product managers, and testers to devise elegant user experiences and bring our team’s long term vision to life!
Our company is small and growing and you will have the opportunity to build out best practices and procedures and influence our culture from the start. An ideal candidate loves proactively seeking out problems and devising creative solutions, regardless of technology. We also hope you are as excited about working on sustainability as we are!
- Work cross-functionally with product managers, UX designers, and other engineers to design, implement, and launch the mobile application supporting our first product.
- Effectively work in a fast-paced start-up environment with ambiguous product direction and distill into project requirements and technical designs, supporting experiments and incorporating learnings into future iterations,
- Prototype, design and implement end-to-end applications.
- Proactively identify needs for internal automation, tools, and infrastructure and deliver user friendly, reliable solutions
- Design for scalability, performance, and robustness
- Engage effectively with third party firms by delivering clear specifications and requirements and managing execution
- Collaborate with the rest of our small engineering team in a hybrid model (at least 2 days in office/week)
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- At least 5 years experience in mobile application software development
- React Native expertise.
- Fluency in frontend state management practices, like Redux, Flux or similar.
- A solid understanding of authentication patterns, including Cookies, JWT and OAuth amongst others.
- Fluency in HTTP, Status Codes, Security Standards and other web protocols & patterns.
- Experience working with a headless CMS like Sanity or Contentful.
- An understanding of HTML rendering, and all of its variants.
- Strong cross functional and technical collaboration skills
- Comfortable communicating technical design choices
- A background in (or eye for) design.
- Native app experience in either Android or iOS is a huge plus!
- Experience writing backend code when necessary.
- Experience specifying forward looking API contracts for backend development teams to implement.
- Github Actions, Docker and general experience with CI.
- Experience shipping consumer facing products and scaling while maintaining quality
- Experience working with IOT devices
- Broad set of skills with experience jumping into new problems and learning quickly!
- Love iterating with experiments, throwing out the bad, and productionizing the good!
The estimated base salary range for this position is $150k to $185k, which does not include the value of benefits or a potential equity grant. A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, market conditions, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and business and organizational needs. At Mill, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role.
For your awareness, we have been requiring that all employees and visitors who come into our offices verify that they are fully vaccinated with respect to COVID-19. Of course we are open to discussing accommodations where legally required, such as for medical or religious reasons. If you need to discuss accommodations or better understand this requirement, please let me know. Otherwise, please prepare to provide verification of your vaccination.