Mark43 is approved to hire in 39 states, including AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, and WI. Before applying to a remote role, please ensure that you are able to perform the position in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new standard for the tools upon which our first responders rely. Our users are diverse, and we are therefore committed to embracing diversity of thought and experience within our team.
We’re seeking experienced and innovative Staff Engineers who have shipped at enterprise scale and released commercial software to enterprise customers. Come and help build the next generation of cloud based public safety software. As a senior member of the Mark43 team, you’ll take ownership of products and features from start to finish, and be a knowledge resource that your teammates can trust and rely on. You’ll build robust server side solutions to our unique problems of scale, security, and reliability. We heavily leverage technologies like Java, MySQL, Redis, and Elasticsearch and enjoy participating in the open source community. As an engineer here, you'll have the freedom to implement your own solutions and have a meaningful impact on our product. We will depend on your strong systems architecture design experience to offer insight into technical decision-making in building our products from the ground up. This role offers tremendous career growth opportunities on either a management or Technical Lead track.
This position is based out of Boston, and will require extensive collaboration with the rest of the Engineering team based out of our New York, North Carolina, and Toronto offices. You should be an excellent, proactive communicator who is capable of working independently but is also enthusiastic about sharing work and collaborating to solve problems. You will be expected to join meetings with the Boston-located team on a regular basis but there is not set amount of days that must be spent in the office.
What You’ll Do
If you were a part of our team, here are some things you would have done last week:
- Spent time working with a Product Manager to understand requirements for a new feature
- Built and deployed product features using popular technologies including but not limited to: Java, MySQL, Redis, and Elasticsearch;
- Improved architectural strategy of a front-end or backend area of the product to meet higher velocity needs created by our growing customer base
- Reviewed code submitted by other software engineers, and submitted your own code for review as part of our pull-request deployment process
- Spent time with a Product Designer to explain technical constraints for a specific feature
- Collaborated with design and product teams to understand and document feature requirements
- Written clear, concise technical documentation to accompany your code that your teammates will trust
- Spent time testing out a new technology or took some action to improve our code base and engineering practices
- Nurtured an engineering culture that cares deeply about the quality of the code we write, while still working quickly to bring our technology to as many departments as possible
What You’ll Need
The following types of experience are highly important:
- Deep understanding of databases, automated testing, Agile methodologies
- Proficiency building and managing RESTful APIs
- Deep experience designing and building out infrastructure for complex cloud-based software applications, preferably hosted in AWS or Azure
- Knowledge of, or prior experience with microservices architecture
- Commitment to providing support for more junior members of the team and developing cooperative working relationships
- Leaning in to contribute to the company outside your role - our engineers have written blog posts, attended events, and helped grow our team
People who thrive on our team also tend to share the following characteristics:
- Humble, open, and curious. You recognize that no one is perfect and you will be wrong, and you’re excited about listening and learning being a big part of your job.
- Attentive, active listeners. You’re interested in what others have to say and illustrate your interest with your actions.
- Resilience. You do not shy away from challenging work and you proactively help your team solve problems.
- Enthusiastic collaborators. You understand that the best outcomes are achieved through shared ownership, and seek to spread knowledge and expand participation rather than restrict it.
- Comfortable with uncertainty. You know that sometimes problems and situations can’t be simplified or fully understood, and are at ease working within this type of haziness.
- Passionate about personal growth. You view mistakes as opportunities for learning, and want to grow as a designer, colleague, and person.
- Eager to help others. You look for ways to provide support for more junior members of the team and develop cooperative working relationships
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a target base annual salary range of $180,000 - $240,000, plus bonus opportunity, company stock options, and a full benefits package, including health insurance, paid time off, and a 401k with a company match. Please note that the higher end of this range will be reserved for candidates with appropriate experience who reside in high cost labor markets.
Mark43 is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please email recruiting@Mark43.com requesting the accommodation.