Sr Mechanical Design Engineer
Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emit more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities that are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will join our mechanical engineering team and design the mechanical systems in our current and future products.
- Own the mechanical design of our product: custom components, major functional subassemblies, assembly process, and robustness and reliability of those systems
- Own the development of components and subsystems from the conceptual phase, cross functional development, detailed design, DFM, tool bring up, assembly, support in the field, all the way to end of life.
- Use iterative design methods to find the best designs possible for our product, customers, and business
- Represent the mechanical team in cross-functional meetings, coordinating with other engineering and business functions (EE, ID, Thermal, Supply Chain, Manufacturing)
- Help build product requirements and guide the product development process to build a product that users love
- Support supply chain, vendor selection, and manufacturing of mechanical components
- Work with production and manufacturing teams to develop test and assembly fixtures
- Perform testing to understand failure modes, iterate on designs, and prove robustness and reliability of mechanical systems
- Develop and maintain excellent documentation, including 3d cad systems
- Shared commitment to building work-positive businesses and products focused on climate change mitigation and increased human well-being
- 5-10 years experience designing mechanical components and systems, especially large sheet metal and injection molded plastic parts
- Experience with rapid prototyping and iterative designs which lead to production tooling
- Experience shipping products in quantities exceeding 10K annually
- Experience working in a variety of production environments and factories
- Experience creating assembly instructions
- Experience writing test plans, performing tests, and publishing/interpreting results
- Expertise in CAD, Solidworks preferred
- Experience with PLM systems (such as Arena)
- Experience with tolerance analysis and GD&T leading to clear 2d drawings
- BS, MS, or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred
- Ability to work at our HQ in San Francisco at least part of the time
- Experience working on HVAC or heat pump products
- Experience with NPI process, supporting devices in the field, and design iterations to reduce cost and increase performance
- Experience performing detailed structural analysis using FEA or other methods
- Experience designing components which live outdoors and survive a range of environmental conditions
- Experience with high volume tooling design
- Experience with specifying foams and adhesives in an outdoor environment
- Experience designing UL compliant products
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO within reason
- Relocation package ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.