Head of People
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
About the role
We are looking for a mission-driven people leader to join our team. As our first people team leader, you will create, refine, scale and innovate our people practices to enable the best working environment for our team, and to bring in the talent needed to deliver on our mission. You will lead and empower our existing people team across recruiting, employee experiences and office strategy & events.
This is a build role and so our ideal candidate has the passion and experience to create the best possible people strategy for our team, using a combination of best practices, insight and innovation with an understanding of the needs of a growth stage company.
This role will oversee all aspects of the employee lifecycle and ensure they align with Mill’s mission and values including recruiting, compensation philosophy, onboarding, talent strategy, development, benefits, office experience and company events.
You will thrive in a deeply mission-driven organization, value a direct feedback and high performance environment, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage and lead through change and ambiguity. You enjoy shifting from the details of keeping the people machine thriving in one moment to driving the high level people strategy the next. Given our size and stage of growth, you will also be deeply aligned to our business goals and able to flex and pivot quickly.
Location: Bay Area required. In office time expected.
What you will do:
- Co-create with Mill leadership and execute a people strategy that supports our people, drives our business, and closely aligns with our mission and values
- Enable our teams to work effectively and reduce the time to impact for new employees, supported by effective and intuitive people processes, including talent growth & development, benefit & compensation philosophies that enable, empower and support people.
- Provide strategic partnership and counsel on all people-related areas, and act as a key partner and advisor to our leadership team
- Build and enhance diversity, equity and inclusion programming as we grow
- Lead and develop an innovative People Team, who are positioned to help us deliver on our business goals, and attract, develop and retain top talent as the team expands
- Continuously seek to identify, improve, and automate the systems, tools and workflows to improve the management and accessibility of key analytical data that informs our people programs
- 10+ years working across people functions with 2+ years in a startup environment
- Experience using data to inform people programming and decision-making
- Exceptional communication skills, writing skills, interpersonal skills, and ethical mindset
- Direct people management experience in one or more people functions
- Knowledge of HR strategies, policies, systems and processes
- Strong leadership experience, analytical ability, emotional intelligence, communication skills and commitment to equity & access.
- Ability to zoom in and out. A strong strategic mindset with detail-oriented execution. You are comfortable with no task being too small, and are willing to do what it takes to support your team and the company
The estimated base salary range for this position is $150k to $200k, which does not include the value of benefits or a potential equity grant. A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, market conditions, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and business and organizational needs. At Mill, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role.
For your awareness, we have been requiring that all employees and visitors who come into our offices verify that they are fully vaccinated with respect to COVID-19. Of course we are open to discussing accommodations where legally required, such as for medical or religious reasons. If you need to discuss accommodations or better understand this requirement, please let me know. Otherwise, please prepare to provide verification of your vaccination.